"Education is not filling a pail, but lighting a fire."
-William Butler Yeats
This quote reflects the many doors that are opened in 4th Grade where our main focus throughout the year is the study of the U.S. – its regions, people, and history. We are able to learn about America through the use of textbooks, research, novels, field trips, video streaming, visiting speakers, web searches, computer programs, and more. Fourth Grade is also the time for all students to become more independent workers, critical thinkers, and risk takers. The journey begins with adult guidance in the beginning of the year and ends in June with self-confident, curious, students guiding their own destiny. Maintaining social friendships is an area that challenges students at this stage of growth as the children try to be unique and mature . Fourth grade at The Barnesville School provides a wonderful opportunity for every child to reach a new level of learning in a safe, enjoyable, challenging environment.
- Washington Area Theater for an American History play
- Tour of Frederick Schifferstadt Home, Frederick County early American Farm
- Frederick Historical Society Museum- 1800’s home
- Tour of Fort Frederick- Colonial Fort
- Tour of the C&O Canal
- Seneca Early American Schoolhouse- Poolesville
- Help the Homeless Walkathon fundraiser
- Holiday gift giving for families in need
- Working with the Frederick Officers Wives’ club by writing letters to American soldiers overseas at various holiday times
- Working to preserve our surrounding environment with recycling and earth saving projects