Cohen Scholarship for Academic Achievement
Barnesville School offers rising and new 6th grade students with exceptional academic achievement the opportunity to apply for $1,000 in scholarship funding per year, depending upon the applicant pool. Up to two students may be selected in any given year as determined by the Cohen Scholarship Committee. The Cohen Scholarships automatically renew each year (for 7th Grade and 8th Grade) as long as Cohen Scholars maintain their strong performance and good standing.
The purpose of the Cohen Scholarship program is to honor Frieda Cohen (or “Grandma Frieda" as she was known to Barnesville School students) and her parents, Rose and David Cohen. This scholarship demonstrates her many years of generosity to Barnesville and her commitment to helping students and families realize the benefits of a Barnesville experience.
Students new to Barnesville are highly encouraged to apply, as Barnesville extends a warm welcome to new members of the community while continuing to recognize the achievements of current students.
Candidates for the Cohen Scholarship must have demonstrated high academic achievement as measured by standardized testing, school transcripts, and performance in the classroom. Candidates must also exemplify the School's mission of joy, support, and excellence.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Entering into 6th Grade in September 2016.
- Strong academic performance in the classroom as demonstrated by the 5th grade report card.
- A minimum score in the 80th percentile based on national norms on two or more standardized subtests (e.g. vocabulary, quantitative analysis, reading comprehension, etc.). Priority consideration will be given for those achieving a score in the 90th percentile or above on one or more subtests.
Teacher recommendation forms provided as part of a new student's application process will also be used in the decision process.
- For new applicants to Barnesville, submit an application by the Admissions priority deadline, which includes both the student's academic transcripts and standardized testing results. Students currently enrolled at Barnesville will have their academic transcripts and standardized testing results reviewed by the Cohen Scholarship Committee.
- Complete and submit the Cohen Academic Scholarship Statement of Intent.
- Schedule a 45-minute block of time during a campus visit or school day for the applicant to independently compose a two- to three- paragraph essay. The applicant will be asked to describe his/her future academic goals and aspirations. The applicant may hand write or type the essay. It will be wholly composed during the campus visit.
The Cohen Scholarship Committee reviews all application materials from eligible candidates; the committee also re-evaluates the records of existing Cohen Scholars seeking renewal each year. Committee members represent the admissions committee as well as the existing teaching staff in the Middle School.
As the Cohen Scholarship is not based on a family's financial need, a family may apply for additional need-based funds.
Forward all applications and inquiries to:
Assistant Director of Admissions and Advancement
The Barnesville School
P.O. Box 404
21830 Peach Tree Rd.
Barnesville, MD 20838
301-972-0341 ext 237
Cohen Scholarship is a discount on the standard tuition rate. Academic scholarships are for tuition only and do not apply to the other fees and charges related to attending Barnesville.