Competitive Team Sports
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." – Michael Jordan
The Barnesville School fields teams for the following competitive sports at the Middle School level:
Soccer (boys & girls)
Cross Country (co-ed)
Basketball (boys & girls)
Lacrosse (boys & girls)
All Middle School students (starting at fifth grade) are eligible to participate in the interscholastic teams, sports clubs, and intramurals program. The Barnesville School’s philosophy is to educate the whole child, and sports and recreation offer the opportunity for many to achieve success on and off the field.
Team rosters may be limited to ensure that the student/athlete has the best coaching and learning experience and a safe environment. If a team roster is limited, we seek to provide alternative intramurals. The selection process for each team is determined by the coach and selection committee in conjunction with the Athletic Director based on the student/athlete’s skill level and mental and physical preparedness. All team members play time is determined by the coach(es).
- The team’s goals, welfare and success must come before any individual.
- An athlete needs to consistently attend practice sessions.
- Players must be receptive to coaching.
- Team members are responsible for all issued uniforms and equipment.
- As a member of a team, an athlete must agree to and follow the team rules. Athletes need to remember that they are ambassadors and represent themselves, the coaching staff, school, and community.
- If injured, an athlete must report all injuries to the coach.
- The selection of the team.
- The determination of the style of play, including the offensive and defensive philosophy.
- The teaching and instruction at practice sessions.
- The determination of who starts and how long an athlete plays in a contest.
- The decision of who plays in what position.
- The establishment of team rules.
- The communication with the athletes and parents with respect to practice sessions and team information.